The flavors of sage, Parma ham and gnocchi go really well together. In this autumn gnocchi recipe we’ve added some green zucchini and chopped almonds on top for a bit of crunch. These are wonderful autumn flavors!
Of course you can go the extra mile and make your own gnocchi, but in well-stocked stores they usually carry ready made good quality gnocchi. Also, the bonus if you use the ready made kind is that you’ll have your autumn gnocchi dinner ready in less that 30 min. This time of year when it’s dark and gloomy outside when you come home in the afternoon, it’s vital that making dinner is not too time-consuming. At least, it is for me. Otherwise, the skipthedishes or ubereats option just becomes too easy and too tempting. Especially with two kids that start screaming ‘I’m hungry!’ even before we’ve reached the front door.
Gnocchi with Parma ham, sage and almonds (serves 2-3)
1.6 oz (500 g) fresh gnocchi
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 small zucchini, diced
3 tbsp olive oil
1 small bunch/1 small handful sage leaves
4.5 oz (125 g – about 8 slices) Parma ham (Prosciutto or Pancetta, or even lean bacon, can be used as substitutes)
7 oz (200 ml) full cream
1.5 oz (40 g) sleeved almonds
Parmesan cheese to taste
Optional: lemon zest from 1 organic lemon or lemon infused olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Start by dicing the zucchini and chopping the garlic. Heat up the oil in a large and deep pan, and once the oil is hot, sauté the zucchini and garlic for a couple of minutes.
2. Meanwhile get a pot of water ready, add a bit of salt and bring it to the boil, so you are ready to boil the gnocchi according to the directions on the pack.
3. Now add the cream to the pan, and bring to a gentle boil and let it simmer for about 5 min. till the cream begins to thicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook the gnocchi while the cream simmers.
4. Once the gnocchi is done, pour it into a colander or drainer to get rid of excess water. Then shake it a bit, and transfer the gnocchi to the pan with the cream sauce. Stir gently to mix sauce and gnocchi.
5. Chop the sage coarsely and mix into the gnocchi and sauce. Also chop the almonds, and drizzle these over the gnocchi right before serving, along with lemon zest or lemon infused oil, shaved Parmesan and a bit of extra black pepper.