Feel like having Mexican food tonight, but would like to avoid carbs? Here’s an amazingly tasty and succulent fajita beef salad that will fulfill your craving without leaving you with a carb guilty conscience.
With its beautiful mix of colors this fajita beef salad truly reminds me of Mexico, and it brightens up any dinner or buffet table. Actually, Cinco de Mayo is coming up soon, so why not start planning your own fiesta? This fajita beef salad does really well as party food. Not only does it look and taste great, it is very fast to make, leaving you time to join the fiesta. You can even make variations and substitute the beef with shrimp or chicken, or whatever protein your heart desires.
And if you or your guests don’t mind carbs, you can always add some rice, tortillas or tacos, and maybe some sour cream and salsa on the side. Whatever you do, just don’t forget the Mexican beer!
Easy fajita beef salad with peppers, red onions, kidney beans and lots of spice (serves 3-4)
1/2 lb (400 g) lean beef steak (e.g. flank steak) cut into thin slices
3 tbsp canola (rapeseed) oil
1 red bell pepper (large), sliced
1 yellow bell pepper (large), sliced
1 green bell pepper (large), sliced
1 large or 2 small red onions, sliced
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 can of kidney beans (about 19 fl oz/540 g), drained and washed
2 avocados, peeled and cut into chunks
1 large bunch of fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
1-2 fresh red chilis, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
For the fajita spice:
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Optional: 1/2 tsp garlic powder (as the recipe already uses fresh garlic, you may leave this out if you wish)
Optional: 1/2 tsp onion powder (as the recipe already uses fresh red onions, you may leave this out if you wish)
1. Start by preparing the fajita seasoning. Mix all the spices well together in a large bowl with room enough to add the meat. Then put the meat in the bowl, and mix with the spices till all the meat is seasoned.
2. Heat up the canola oil in a large and deep frying pan (or wok) at high heat. Pour the seasoned meat into the pan and stir fry for about 5 min. or until the meat starts taking on color. It is crucial that the meat browns.
3. Now, throw in the sliced red onions and garlic, and stir for about a minute while it fries with the beef. Then add all the peppers and keep stirring and mixing it all together for a couple of minutes. Add extra canola oil if the pan starts to dry up.
4. Pour in the drained kidney beans and continue stirring and mixing for another couple of minutes.
5. Transfer the fried fajita beef, veggies and beans to a large serving platter. Toss the avocado, sliced chili and chopped cilantro over the fajita mix, and gently mix together with two large spoons. Dinner is served!
Want to add more deliciously spicy dishes to your feast? Try this mouthwatering Cajun shrimp bread: